Sunday, December 12, 2010

Acid Rain


My lesson was about pH levels and the effects of acid rain. Prior to this lesson students had read an article about how pH is determined using the GIST comprehension strategy. Students read an article in groups one chunk at a time. They then discuss the most important parts of each chunk and then write a summarizing statement about each chunk ending up with a complete paragraph. Students then did an activity where they found the pH levels of various household solutions and graphed their findings.

This lesson had two steps. The first was having groups of students read one of three articles using GIST about how acid rain is formed, the effects of it, and possible solutions. I found the articles from such places as HowStuffWorks.com. After reading the articles, students did carousel writing based on what they read. The first four pictures are examples of this. I had originally planned a worksheet, but wanted there to be more conversation among my students. I was glad that I made the switch because they began making connections between the previous lessons and this new information.

My second step was modified from my original plan because another teacher needed some of my supplies. I ended up creating a model of soil layers and the water table as a demonstration instead of as an activity for my students. It worked out okay because there was a lot of whole group discussion. The final four pictures represent responses from three of my students. They are getting better at using evidence in their responses. I was also very pleased with the drawings they made and how detailed they were.

I didn't even think to take pictures or videos while they were involved. Note to self to include that next time. I get so involved in observing them that I forget I have other work to do as well.

5 comments:

  1. Questions?

    What is the GIST comprehension strategy? This is a great example of integrating content areas.

    What grade level is this lesson for? The writing and diagram are beautiful. I wish that I could get that result from my students. I hoping that you teach middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was for seventh grade. The GIST strategy is one that I originally used with my language arts classes teaching note taking strategies for writing a research paper. There is a really good lesson geared for middle school at www.readwritethink.org. It was also discussed in our text from the diversity class. I think that's why it stuck out for me because I have several ELL students this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent use of integrating language arts and then connecting it to a current issue in science. Good way to increase science literacy among your students.
    I adapted the GIST strategy with a few of special needs students in my inclusion class. The carousel activity is used quite frequently in our classes with our cooperative learning groups. It definitely encourages discussions among individuals within the group.
    The water table demonstration reinforced the concept of acid rain beautifully. Did you create that demonstration yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you focused on the student conversation. Student conversations build on their academic vocabulary and the lesson. Often times student learn more from feeding into each other than the teacher. Dialog is over lecture is my motto.

    ReplyDelete